Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

Bacon wrapped poppers (with or without chicken)

 This is one of my FAVE things to make for a side dish in a meal or, more so, as snacks/appetizers during a party or game.

In this example, I cooked boneless quail, but I often use small pieces of chicken breast or no chicken at all. The recipe is essentially the same no matter which of the above you use.

Ingredients:

  • Cream cheese
  • bacon
  • quail/chicken/nada if your vegetarian
  • Jalapeños ---> I sometimes use fresh and sometimes (if in a rush) use jarred & sliced. It's your call. If you cook it sans meat, I encourage the fresh. 
  • Brown sugar
  • bbq sauce
Foil that pan, and set the oven to 350 degrees.

wear gloves and cut up your jalapeños. De-seed them & cut down the middle long ways then across so they are in 4's. [Consider this when you buy them, 1 jalapeño makes about 1]

Set up your station like I did, or better if you can! Brown sugar and bbq sauce on the right with a bunch of wooden toothpicks. Cut your bacon into half or third slices depending on the size of the meat you are using.
For the quail, I used one whole slice, but with chicken, I use two halves and wrap them cross-wise. If only jalapeños, I use about 1/3 slice.

 So take your jalapeño slice, press cream cheese onto it (about a table spoon), insert it into or beside the meat (I say into for quail). Next, wrap with bacon. If it's a decent sized chicken piece, put two half pieces like a present  (crossed) with the ends on the underneath side, and put a tooth pick through the bacon and jalapeño. If it's quail, and you have big freaking bacon like I did here, wrap one piece around. If it's just jalapeño, wrap a third a piece around it.
Coat the pieces with bbq sauce and sprinkle brown sugar.
Cook on 350 degrees for 40 minutes
At the end broil it on high for 5 minutes with the oven cracked open
BOOM




No comments:

Post a Comment